What is China social security?

China social security covers 6 schemes, which are pension insurance, unemployment insurance, medical insurance, work-related injury insurance, maternity insurance, and housing refund. Chinese people called them “Five Insurances and One Fund” (五险一金). Pay attention that the housing refund is different from the other 5, so some companies/schools DO NOT offer that!

All those insurances are required to be paid by the employee and employer monthly. The amount ranges. More developed cities have higher standard. For example, in Shanghai, the minimum amount is 2559.5 RMB monthly. The employer contributes 1874.9 RMB, and the employee contributes 684.6 RMB, referring to the criteria of 2022.

Why do I need social security?

If you were injured during work, or see a doctor, or need a maternity leave, or get fired, you can apply for the compensation at the labor department.

How do I know if I have social security?

There are 2 ways to sort this out. One is to check if you have the card below, and the other way is to ask your school/company.

How much tax can I refund?

Usually, it ranges from 10000 to 30000 RMB, depending on how much you have paid.

Are tax refund and social security refund the same thing?

The tax refund and social insurance refund are different. Do not confuse them. You can do the tax refund and social security refund simultaneously. You need to refund the tax in the set time every year, but only refund the social security refund once when you decide to leave China.

How can foreigners claim social security payments while leaving China?

If you are planning on leaving China, you can claim a refund of the social security contributions you made. According to the Chinese law, foreigners can only get a refund on their medical insurance and pension contributions they paid.

If you had paid social security previously and not closed your social insurance account, your refunded payment will be calculated cumulatively.

You will need to file an application at the relevant department. The departments will require some documents and fill in some forms which are in Chinese and not easy to do by yourself. What you need to do is to contact us, and we will help you step by step. Click to submit a request.

Contact Us

Hello 👋

Chat now by scanning the QR code with wechat.

Previous PostNext Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hello 👋

Chat now by scanning the QR code with wechat.

Copyright © Elite Recruitment and Education 2024